Smartphone Users Prefer Shopping on Mobile Websites Over Apps!
Mobile website design for m-commerce shopping pages is getting more attention these days from marketers, for good reason. It seems that Smartphone owners actually prefer shopping on mobile websites over apps.
A recent study conducted by Nielson during the 2011 holiday season, revealed that almost half (47.8%) of Smartphone owners preferred to visit mobile websites for shopping related purposes, while just 25.3% prefer gaining access to shopping content through native apps.
At Tappinn, we genuinely believe that browser-based mobile website design is essential for every company looking to attract Smartphone shoppers, more so than building a native “app”. As much hype as there is around apps, mobile websites can far exceed them with reach and efficiency, because they are open to all platforms and don’t require a download to access. Mobile websites can also be delivered effectively through QR codes and NFC tags.
Not to mention that mobile websites are cheaper and much easier to develop , especially using a mobile website builder like Tappinn,where programming knowledge isn’t needed to produce high quality mobile shopping sites.
To follow up on the findings by Nielson, Tappinn brings you a list of 6 mobile website design tips that all mobile commerce shopping pages can use.
6 Mobile Website Design Tips For Shopping Pages
- Button Design is Important - Make sure mobile website buttons are friendly on the eyes and large enough to tap. Keep contact buttons everywhere encouraging two-way communication with shoppers. Also, effective button designs and placement will make your mobile site feel like an app. Try using textures and shadows on buttons to encourage action that leads to transaction. Mobile Button design is an important visual component that shouldn’t be overlooked on mobile shopping pages.
- Provide ‘Buy Now’ Express Checkout - Mobile Purchase is increasing with shoppers and is the Holy Grail for companies selling products online. Speedy and secure mobile payment checkouts are absolutely critical to conversion. Try becoming PayPal merchant for express payment checkout buttons to make commerce fast and safe.
- Include Conversation and Ratings - Smartphone owners love to weigh ratings and product feedback into their shopping decisions. Facebook offers a social plug-in that is ideal for encouraging authentic comments that are viral. Also, incorporating Twitter conversation into shopping pages can give you instant social street cred.
- Make Sign Up Forms Available - Shoppers will sign up or ‘op-in’ by providing contact information from their smartphone for additional content if they are offered value in return. Make sign up forms short and sweet to build mobile CRM.
- Image is Everything - HD mobile devices are storming the market and the screens are breathtakingly sharp. Too many early mobile sites have low res images that get exposed by new smartphones. Make sure you display gallery images in a horizontal mobile slide show format with auto movement, to transform mobile shoppers into mobile buyers.
- Think ‘Out of The Box’ - The term “Anywhere Economy” was coined by The Yankee Group because consumers can access web content from literally “anywhere”. Take advantage of this new phenomenon by exploring ‘out of the box’ commerce opportunities in the physical world. Check out what Ebay and PayPal did by offering a pop up mobile storefront that let shoppers buy products in the windows completely from their Smartphone. Brilliant.
Learn more about all of the new mobile website design tools on Tappinn by attending a free webinar on Friday, April 13!